The set up of the Gift Card program in System Five can generally be broken down into a few key parts
- Setup Wizard options
- Category set up
- Inventory item set up
- Label set up
The Setup Wizard options enable the various parts of System Five. The category and inventory item set up allow the user to then start selling and redeeming gift cards. If there are pre-printed cards to be used for the gift card program, then a quantity load onto the part created is a good idea as this can be used in conjunction with Highs and Lows for reordering. If the gift card is just a normal sheet of paper run through a printer, then quantity control is not going to be needed.
The set up in this example is for printing a certificate on a regular piece of paper. If the user has some pre-printed cards, then the label design would just need to contain the transaction authorization number and new dollar values.
It is possible to have the gift card program set up to make use of an external payment provider such as FIS/Worldpay (Also known as Vantiv and Mercury Payment). This is a recommended way to set up the gift card program for use with System Five Polling or W.E.A.R.. This type of configuration is beyond the scope of this document.
Setup Wizard Configuration
The following section are all performed in the Setup Wizard
Setup Tools | Setup Wizard
The Gift Card tender type must be enabled for the gift card program to work.
Invoice Setup | Tender types
- Select the Enabled column on the Gift Card line to turn on the tender type
Please note that tender type G is Gift/Store Cards
Credit Card Options
The credit/debit card verification options are to be enabled so that the tender screen shows the appropriate fields for the gift cards to be redeemed.
Credit/Debit Card Verification Options | Credit Card Info | Gift Cards
- Enable the option Ask For Gift Cards
- Enable the option G Gift Card
Gift Card Options
The gift card program options are enabled to tell System Five that these are now going to be in use.
Credit/Debit Card Verification Options | System Five Gift Card / Gift Certificate
- Enable Use System Five Gift Card / Gift Certificate Program
- Enable Print Labels when issued
- Enable Print labels when redeemed
- Enable Auto Sequence Gift Card Numbers
- Enter a starting point for the gift card numbers in the Last Certificate Number field (If the field turns yellow, a matching card range does not exist)
Card Number Ranges
The card number range needs to be specified so System Five knows what card type is in use.
Credit/Debit Card Verification Option is | System Five Gift Card / Gift Certificate | Card Number Ranges | Barcodes
- Specify the length of the card number in the Length column
- Specify the first card number able to be used in the Start Range column
- Specify the last card number able to be used in the End Range column
- Leave the Pre-Amble column blank
- Leave the Post-Amble column blank
- Specify the letter for the gift card tender type in the Tender Type column
- Specify the rule for the card number in the Mask column. Typically this is all zeros for the Length of the card number
- Set the Check Sum column to N
A category needs to be specified to contain the gift card parts to be sold. These parts cannot be mixed into a normal category as the set up for the financial posting is different to normal parts.
Setup Tools | Configuration | Category Setup
- Select and appropriate Main Category to put the Gift Cards in. If one does not exists, create it.
- Set the Name column to a description that makes sense for the business
- Set the Type column to Gift Card
- Set the Income column to a liability account. (Make sure the account does not already exists for another purpose)
- Set the Cost column to the same account as Income. (No cost is entered on the part itself)
Inventory Item Configuration
An inventory item must be created so that gift cards can be sold to customers
Inventory and Purchases | Inventory | New Item
- Select the Main/Sub Category for the part
- Specify the Part Number
- Select Create
- Go to the Taxes tab
- Turn off the taxes. (This is correct for Australia as the tax is collected when the card is redeemed for goods)
- Go to the Misc Part tab
- Select %% Misc Part (cost is a percentage of Selling Price) * Set the Percent field to zero
The label needs to be set up so the user has something to present to the customer when a gift card is purchased. This page is not a tutorial on form/label design. Setup Tools | Printing Options | Form and Label Designers | Label Designers | Label Size Setup * Create a new label size that is slightly smaller than an A4 page *
- Setup Tools | Printing Options | Form and Label Designers | Label Designers | Gift Card and Certificate Label Designer**
- Create a new gift card label using the label size set in the previous step
- In this example the following variables are used
- Gift Card Transaction Date
- Gift Card Number
- Gift Card Operation
- Gift Card Transaction Amount
- Gift Card Authorization
- Gift Card Balance
- Multiple Text and Rich Text fields for extra information
- You have printed out the appropriate documentation on setup
- - Gift Card Setup help file topic, with the setup wizard settings you need to select
- - Gift Card Part Setup help file topic, with information on the gift card category setup
- - KB504 the knowledge base topic on how to set up gift certificates
- - This document for screenshots of additional settings
- Use System Five Gift Card option is selected in the Setup Wizard.
- Use Mercury Payment Gift Cards are not selected
- Ask for Gift Cards option is selected in the Setup Wizard
- - The Tender Type “G Gift Card” is checked off under gift cards
- - Warning: The Tender Type “G Gift Card” can not be checked off under the other tabs here (Credit Cards, Cheques, Debit/Bank Card
Gift Certificate Settings
- Auto Sequence Gift Card Numbers is not selected unless you are using non-pre-numbered gift certificates.
- The field in Last Certificate Number does not show in Yellow.
- If the field shows in Yellow then there is not a valid gift card range defined