BC Equipment Setup for Windward Software
This is an overview of how to configure POSX point of sale equipment provided by International Bar Code (IBC).
Equipment comes with the following devices:
- 1024 X 768 Touchscreen Monitor (No requirement for configuration) in a small form-factor PC unit.
- Poll Display (8200USB)
- Mag Stripe reader integrated with touchscreen
- Thermal Slip Printer (POSX ION Thermal GC13A41172)
- 16“ Cash Drawer (POSX ION-C16A-1B)
- Barcode Scanner (ie:XI3000U or POS-X EVO 2D scanner)
Using Second Monitor As Pole Display
Configure Windward System Five to work with a second monitor by choosing “Use Second Monitor for Customer Display” under “Device Options”. The second monitor will not become active until you enter an invoice. Once it is active you can right click to view the list of available options for configuring the layout and content.
Displaying A Video Or Webpage
- Select either “Show Webpage Full Screen” under “No Invoice” or “Show Web page” under “Invoice” or both if desired.
- Select “Web page url” under “Settings” and enter in either a local file path to a .swf Shockwave Flash file or a URL to a webpage.
Pole Display 8200USB
The Pole display is USB but will emulate as a serial device once the drivers are installed. First, download and install the 8200-USB driver which will allow you to configure the port settings to be used for the device. Once installed, download and extract the 8200-2200.zip file and run the VFD_Setup.exe file. This will allow you to set the Pole Display in a number of different configuration settings. We recommend setting the Pole display to be in DSP-800 mode. The user can load the 8200-DSP-800.vfd file which will pre-set the settings required for the DSP-800:
Once the settings have been downloaded to the device, the WindwardPOS device manager can be set to use the DSP-800 as the Pole display.
Pole Display POS-X XP8200U
The Pole display is USB but will emulate a serial device once the drivers are installed.
First, download and install the XP8200 Virtual COM Driver which will allow you to configure the port settings to be used for the device.
You MUST verify the serial number of the pole display and download the correct driver.
There are 3 versions:
If your serial number is equal to or less than 274590 choose XP8200_Virtual_COM_Driver_V1.exe driver.
If your serial number is equal to or greater than 274591 choose XP8200_Virtual_COM_Driver_V2.exe driver.
If your serial number is equal to or greater than BEAT290910 choose XP8200_Virtual_COM_Driver_V3.exe driver.
Once installed, you may need to unplug the USB cable from the USB Port wait a few seconds and then plug it back in again for Windows to detect it.
Open control panel and Verify which COM Port the Prolific USB to Serial driver is using.
The default is 3 unless that port is already assigned to another device.
Now download and extract the XP8200 Configuration Utility from :
Again, you need to download the correct one based on the serial number of the Pole Display.
If your serial number is equal to or less than 274590 choose V1 utility.
If your serial number is equal to or greater than 274591 choose V2 utility.
If your serial number is equal to or greater than BEAT290910 choose V3 utility.
Once you extract the utility, run the VFD_Setup.exe file.
This will allow you to set the Pole Display in a number of different configuration settings.
To work correctly set the Pole display's Command Mode to DSP-800.
Once you select it from the dropdown, click the Download Settings To VFD button to have the DSP-800 settings uploaded to the Pole Display. You should get a popup saying it was successful.
Close the utility and open System Five.
In the POS Device Manager, go to the Pole Display tab.
Set the Port settings to the correct COM Port. As mentioned before, the default is 3 unless that port is already assigned to another device. The workstations I was working with had devices using COM 3 on some machines, so rather than having some on COM3 and some on COM4, I just set them all to COM4 in Windows to keep everything the same on all Workstations.
Set the Display Width to 20 because these are 20 character displays.
Set the Pole Display Model to DSP-800
Click the Test button and have the client verify the display looks the same as the example in the POS Device Manager.
Mag Stripe Reader MSR
The Mag Stripe reader should be setup for reading tracks 1 and 2 only as well as have the % prefix programmed.
- Download the xm_config.zip file and extract the content
- Run the setup.exe to install the software for the device.
- Run the software and select the Basic reader Settings
- Select “Load From File.” and choose the pre-set configuration file Windward-MAG-Strip-Config.cfs2
- Do not forget to choose to write the settings to mag stripe before closing.
%BCPENTICTON^TEST,$TESTAROO REAL^3547 SKAHA LK RD$PENTICTON BC V2A 7K2^?;6360285700123=17111123112=?
To install the Slip Printer, download the Vendor Thermal printer drivers and run the driver installer. This will setup the printer in Windows. Once installed, log into System Five, go into Printer Setup and select the Slip Printer Option and Slip printer driver codes for this printer. Note, this slip printer emulates the Epson ESC character for opening attached cash drawers.
Connect the RJ11 connector to the back of the slip printer that is marked “Cash Drawer.” Then, in the Windward POS Device Manager, set the port settings to your Slip Printer name and select the Epson ESC codes for the pre-defined drawer codes.
Barcode Scanner xi3200
This model of barcode scanner comes pre-programmed to scan the most common type of barcodes. A carriage return after scanning a barcode is programmed by default. For proper functionality, the scanner needs to be programmed with the STX (Start of Text) prefix character. To perform this operation, scan the following barcodes on pages 14 and 52 of the users manual: xi3200_manual.pdf
A: Scan the Clear Pre / Post Amble barcode (pg 14) B: Scan the Preamble Barcode (pg 14) C: Scan the STX Barcode (pg 52) D: Scan the Preamble Barcode again (pg 14)
Barcodes for perfroming this operation are below:
Once this has been set, log into Windward and set the pre-amble character setting by selecting Barcode Reader under Point of Sale Devices and following the prompts. Finally, in the Windward POS Device manager, set the barcode scanner to be Keyboard Wedge. Screen-shots of barcodes required to scan, plus full PDF of manual
Alternate Barcode Scanner Setup for XI3000U (Required for some clients)
You must scan in these codes from the manual
- .A011$, CLEAR PRE/POSTABMLE
- .A012$, PREAMBLE (16)
- $B, STX
- .A012$, PREAMBLE (16)
- .A013$, POSTAMBLE (16)
- $M, CR
- .A013$, POSTABMLE (16)
Printable barcodes in order are available in an MS Word document here: posx_xi3000u_programming_instructions.doc
POS-X EVO 2D barcode scanner KEYBOARD MODE
- Windows Mode Control + ASCII Mode on
- Add Prefix
- 9, 9 (all codes)
- 0, 2 (STX)
- Add CR Suffix All Symbolgies
POS-X EVO Barcode Scanner KEYBOARD MODE
Or you can print out this page from the following PDF
The full manual can be downloaded from here. evolaser_usermanual.pdf
POS-X EVO Barcode Scanner HID MODE
POS device manager version 184.108.40.206 supports HID mode barcode scanners. This works much better for driver license scans, but will not work with Terminal Services as RDP does not redirect HID devices. You do not need pre or post ambles with HID mode. In the POS device manager, simply select the HID tab and select the HID scanner from the list. The EVO-2D shows as 4600.
2D Presentation Scanner.
http://www.pos-x.com/download/evo-omni-configuration-manual/ This scanner works with USB-Com port emulation. See Page 31 of the Configuration Guide above and scan the USB virtual COM Port emulation.
Configure using the Windward POS-Device Manager.
POS Tablet ION-TAB8-Z4UG
- Setup the Zebra embedded Scanner as instructed here. USB-COM.
- There is no article on reverting so don't do this willy-nilly. There is a barcode to revert, but you will have to contact POS-X support to get it.
- This will create a Virtual USB-Serial Port in the device manager.
- Select this serial port in the POS Device Manger.
HP ElitePad with Retail Jacket (Beta - not currently supported)
- This tablet is a W8 tablet with MSR and barcode scanner.
- You must use RDP with the Remote Windward POS Device Manager, or run standalone. Never run database connections over wireless networks.
- Requires System Five version 6.1.0.x and datacap dsiPDCX 1.38
- Scanner can be used in Serial or OPOS mode.
- MSR is supported by datacap dsiPDCX
- This installation is rather advanced.
- Scanner is a 2-D barcode scanner and does support scanning of supported 2-D Driver Licenses.
Setting up Scanner
- You need to set the scanner to COM mode instead of HID Keyboard Mode
- HP Retail Jacket Scanner OPOS Mode. Scan the barcodes on the first page Enter Setup, USB COM, Exit Setup
- Open notepad and scan a barcode, the barcode SHOULD NOT show in notepad.
- Download HP Retail Jacket Mobile Scanner COM Drivers. This should be sp66625.exe
- Run the sp66625.exe which should install in c:\SWSetup\SP66625\
- Open the Windows Device Manager and see which COM port was created.
- Run the WindwardPOS.exe device manager in Adminstrator Mode. Select Barcode Scanner, then select COM1, 9600 as the Port Settings. You should now be able to scan a barcode and it will show in the barcode text box.
- You may have to install the OPOS drivers to make the scanner work. The scanner seems a little finicky.
- In the POS device manager, set the scanner up as an OPOS driver.
Setting up MSR
- Download HP USB Mini and Dual Headed MSR USB HID/USB HID-KB Utility. This file should be sp66629.exe
- Run the downloaded sp66629.exe and install in C:\SWSetup\SP66629
- Open the directory C:\SWSetup\SP66629
- Run HPHIDKBConfig.exe
Setting up Windward Remote POS Device Manager
- In the Windward POS device manager, select the Remote Desktop Tab.
- Select Connect - Server has a fixed external IP
- Enter the IP address of the Server and enter a PORT Number. You may have to open this port in the Windows Firewall for incoming ports
- set a password.
Install Datacap netepay Client on the tablet
- Install dsiPDCX
- Install DSIClientX
Setting up System Five for Remote POS Device Manager
- Setup Wizard
- Point of Sale Devices
- Device Options
- Select Remote - Server Listens for Client
- Enter the port number you entered in the Remote POS Device manager
- Enter the Password as above.
- Press Restart TCP/IP Socket. After a few moments, the Windward Status bar should show RDev Listening and the POS device manager should show a green indicator.
- Once connected, select Credit/Debit card Verification Options
- In the Processor Tab select Debit Cards
- Select DAtacap dsiPDCX
- Select COM 1 (it does not use a serial port so it does not really matter)
- Select HP Retail Jacket
- Test Installation should now work. Also try running a credit card transaction.